Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Remembering G. Dennis O'Connor

Dad met his second granddaughter, Kiley, this summer.

Dad and me with the girls.

At Mike's wedding. I couldn't make it, but Dad did.

Dancing with Aunt Shirley at my wedding.

My wedding.


For the next few days I'm going to use the blog, normally reserved for pictures of the girls, to honor my dad, G. Dennis O'Connor, who passed away yesterday. Dad was 64--far too young to leave us.

He was born, grew up, and lived his entire life in Wellsville, NY. He loved Wellsville. Throughout his life he was a Bills, Yankees, Notre Dame, and NASCAR fan. He loved listening to music and singing along-not well, mind you, but entertainingly nonetheless. Rod Stewart was his idol; Elvis took a close second.
For years I went to Watkins Glen with Dad to watch NASCAR racing. He started taking me when I was 15 or 16. I traveled with a far older and more experienced crowd on those occasions. In fact one year when I was 16, his buddies smuggled me into an establishment in Corning called McHale's - a place not exactly suited for for young, impressionable teens. When I went away to college, I found a new crew to go to the Glen with. And even though I wasn't going with Dad, he always met us there and had no problem joining the young crew. He'd bring us supplies when we needed them and loved hanging out with the boys.

After I moved to Colorado, I know he missed having me around, and truthfully, I always felt a little guilty about not being there. But I saw him at least once a year, and we talked on the phone every week, making NASCAR picks or bemoaning the Bills' latest misstep.
Even though I lived so far away, Dad got to spend time with his two granddaughters, Kiley and Cara. He loved them very much. Cara always talked about her Papa O after trips to Wellsville. While they won't get to know him personally, I'll be sure they hear all about him.

He was always there for me when I needed him. He was a father and a friend. But he wasn't just my friend. The great thing about Dad was that most of my friends would call him their friend too. I don't know how many times a group of us would hang out with him. He absolutely loved all of them. I really appreciated and loved my dad. I wish I would have had more time to tell him some of this, but I think he knew. In fact, over the past few days I've heard many people tell me how proud of me he was and how much he loved me.

The last few days with my dad were extremely difficult. He suffered quite a bit, but I think he was able to rest a little easier knowing I made it home to be with him. I love and miss you dad.

I'm posting a few pictures here, and I'll add more in the next few days. Please share with me your memories of G. Dennis. If you have any pictures you'd like me to share, please send them to me as well. He appreciated and enjoyed all the times he spent with you all.

Erin

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erin O'Connor has been a friend of mine since we met at Mansfield University in January of 1993 and we hit it off right away. In fact, that Spring Break Erin and I would take a trip of infamy from Wellsville to Newburgh (with our friend June) during the Blizzard of '93...after our parents had strongly discouraged it!

It was shortly after the return from Newburgh that I would meet Dennis O'Connor for the first time. Dennis was hosting a St.Patrick's Day gathering and I knew upon meeting him that the Irish spirit of joy and generosity could truly be personified.

We would make the St.Patrick's Day gathering an annual celebration for several years following our first meeting.

The connection and friendship I had with Dennis was not solely established in our shared Irish heritage. I can't imagine it ever took long for anyone to surmise that he truly was as good a person as he was an Irishman.

While I had the good fortune of sharing a wide range of experiences with Dennis (in several combinations of friends and family), I will spare you the particulars of each one and in summary remember that there was never a shortage of laughter when I was in the presence of Dennis. I will value each time I get to hear his laugh when I share them with my good friend Erin!

I have the pleasure of knowing Dennis O'Connor as a friend and I am extremely grateful for it!

While I am so sad in his departure I still find comfort as I am quite certain that Dennis WAS IN HEAVEN A FULL HOUR BEFORE THE DEVIL KNEW HE WAS DEAD!

So long my friend, you will be sorely missed!

-Michael McCullen

Anonymous said...

Erin and I have been friends and were classmates from kindergarten at ICS all the way through college at Mansfield University. Many years and many memories. A few that I recall Dennis being a part of. When we graduated from eighth grade, I believe it was Dennis who rented the only limo in town for Erin and a few of his lucky pals to ride around in. Quite an exciting thing for a bunch of newly crowned 8th graders.

Another memory comes to mind when I think of Erin's dad. I may be fuzzy on the details but I think it may have been a graduation party at the Dates residence. We were all having a safe and lovely time imbibing what we thought was full strength beer, only to find out full bellies and clear heads later that it was in fact O'Douls supplied by Dennis.

Dennis was always genuine and sweet when I ran into him during visits home and he will be missed.

I'm sorry for the loss to your family and know that you're in our thoughts and prayers.

Heather Childs Moline

Jason said...

Erin, your words move me, I can't express how much I feel for you and your family. You've inspired me once again to live life to the fullest and love any chance I get. I enjoyed the times I spent around Dennis, and wish your wedding wasn't the last place I saw him. C'est la vie, but 64 is way too young, he is missed.

Cheers, and call if you ever need to talk, Guinter

Nichole said...

Erin,
Our thoughts and prayers are with you in this extremely difficult time. Losing a father too early is a tragedy. Please know that Pete and I are here for you and are thinking of you and your family every day! While I am sure you have heard this so many times in the past hours and will here it again and again, please let us know if you need anything! I truly do mean anything! Even just to talk with someone who has been there!
All our love!!!
Nichole and Pete

Unknown said...

I never got to meet your father and for that I am at a loss. I went with you to Wellsville once. Back in 95 we took my late fathers truck over some of the craziest roads I had ever been on. Driving a stick shift ford ranger that I'll admit was not very easy for me to drive. Through the mountains to go to your folks house. I met your mother briefly and we then went to the local distributor for a case and some snacks for the road. I clearly remember coming away from that trip with a defined understanding of you Erin. You and your upbringing, which of course makes you, you. I miss those times and I miss you.

I am truly sorry to hear of your loss. I know the pain you feel and the sorrow in your heart. But I also know the joy you feel for having gotten to spend all those wonderful times with him. It is at this time that those memories become so important, so cherished, so amazing.

My heart goes out to your entire family, your friends and anyone that feels the tremors from this loss.

Anonymous said...

I met Dennis O'Connor for the first time at my wedding. As Mike and I were walking back the aisle at the end of the ceremony, Dennis stood up from the back pew, stopped us and began reciting an Irish Blessing. I could tell instantly that he was a friendly, warm, genuine individual...and very enthusiastic, as I later experienced as he whisked me around the dance floor at the reception! He certainly added to the happiness of our special day and I will always remember him for that.

I may not have many shared memories with Dennis O'Connor, but I am grateful for meeting him and he will be missed.

You are in our thoughts and prayers

-Natalie McCullen

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear about your dad. He was such a wonderful person to be around; always welcoming and generous. Some of my fondest memories of high-school include the parties at his place and getting roped into Euchre when I only stopped by looking for you. It seemed Dennis could identify with everyone, so much so I would call it a gift. There are few like him and he will be sadly missed.

my deepest condolences